CDSA-ACEH Executive 2017-2018

Meeting #2: Oct 11th, 2017

Meeting Minutes

In attendance: Jen Rinaldi, Anne McGuire, Arielle Sugarman, Patty Douglas, Heather Willis. Faith Savarese joined later by phone.

1.Approval of September minutes: Moved by Jen, seconded by Heather; all in favour. Minutes are posted on the website and on Google Drive.

2.Approval of October Agenda: moved by Jen; seconded by Anne; all in favour.

3.Keynote Candidates: task for the meeting is to discuss the order in which Jen should approach the potential keynote speakers on the list, and if there are any objections to any of the names. We should agree on one-two names for both international and Canadian keynotes, and then Jen will approach them.

Canadian Keynote: Decision re: Cnd keynote depends on whether or not we have an international keynote.  The argument for international keynote is that it puts us on the map for Congress, facilitates inter-disciplinary collaboration, brings in more people; against is the cost to bring an international person in (usu about $1,000). If we were to have an international keynote, we could ask if they could present remotely.

Decision: Jen will then approach SSA or Women & Gender about interest in an interdisciplinary international keynote with our top two choices. Jen will approach keynote candidates from compiled and agreed upon list. Kathryn Trebenen is the program chair of Women & Gender and works at U of O, sometimes does disability work; Anne will reach out to her to discuss collaboration.

4.Call for proposals: Key change: Changing ‘Gathering Diversities’ to ‘Grappling with Diversities’ and altering our CFP (final para on first page) to reflect the title change; ensure that ongoing colonization is addressed in the explanation of the title.

Discussion: Traditional territory is not identified. All in agreement to change the title and the explanation. Need for an elder for us to discuss this with. Faith and Randy are in touch with one currently in Regina. Should CDSA-ACEH have an ongoing relationship with an elder?

List of topics in the CFP not necessary, as these are listed again in the theme breakdown. Four themes is sufficient for building our program. Some changes to the expectations of contents of the abstract. Can we call ‘Decolonizing disability justice’ thematic stream ‘Decolonizing disability movements’ instead, as disability justice is already considered inseparable from the work of decolonization, to broaden the themes so we’re not focusing on the one progressive strand of the disability movement. For the theme ‘opening up diversity’, could we make it clear we are open to problematizing statements, complicating it—i.e. grappling, opening up to, critiquing diversity. ‘Opening up’ suggests that diversity is an assumed good.

Decision: Jen to ask Randy and Faith to contact the elder in Regina re: the CFP and our suggested changes. CDSA-ACEH will continue to discuss possibility of referring regularly to an elder. Changes in wording to themes were made.

Discussion regarding length of conference: Budget concerns for longer conference.  Concern regarding low turnout because of location; this would allow a shorter conference, bringing costs down.  Problem: people less likely to come if it is a shorter conference. Can’t really make the decision to shorten without seeing the conference program. Also, would not be fair to participants to change the length of the conference after the CFP deadline. Alternatively, three days can feel too long.

Discussion re: virtual participation (connected to length of conference): Remote presentations are allowed; we would have to insist on registration. Possibility: 2 days of live conference, and 1 day virtual. We could also start on the evening of May 27th. This would allow the CFP to stay the same, the room booking to remain, and would save costs. This might allow more options for those who cannot physically come, and virtual presentations might also be more accessible. ZOOM might be the online forum that can be used. CDSA-ACEH has capacity for 100 people on ZOOM. People will be given the link for the online ZOOM room, providing they have registered for the conference.

Decision: leave the dates on the CFP as is; in addition, indicate that remote presentations will be possible. Jen will circulate the CFP again. Anne can circulate the CFP in her next Unsettling Normalcy working group which includes a lot of people.

December 1st deadline for CFP; it must be posted by Nov. 1st at the latest. Will aim to get it translated ASAP.

5.Discussion re: targeted contacts: CFP will go out to social media, on our newsletter, on our website. Can also send to specific associations programs or departments. Heather has prepared a list of disability studies programs across Canada, with contacts. Jen will send them the call and ask them to circulate. Please contribute to list if you wish. The more important list is the one Jen has already solicited our help on, which includes programs outside of disability studies. Jen will send out a mass e-mail to these programs and ask them to forward to students and faculty. A few university programs were added to the list.

Discussion re: adding colleges to the list. The list appears to be predominantly universities; not very accessible. This might be due to financial barriers, or people do not have access to universities. CDSA- ACEH has some contacts who work in colleges who will receive the CFP. College information will be added.

Decision: Please send Jen any additional contacts to add to the list; Heather will update list to include colleges. Finalized list will be sent out to the Board to indicate to whom the list will be sent.

6.Fundraising: fundraising package was sent out with meeting materials. Package consists of two documents to be used to ask for sponsorships: one is an ‘asking’ letter, which includes new requests for money for accommodation and to pay for student bursaries for travel. We set a response deadline for January, but can receive donations as late as April 2018. Second document sent out is an explanation of the different levels of sponsorship people can assume. All the price points have been elevated (Gold = $750; Silver = $500; Bronze = $300). Also added more perks for gold and silver-level sponsorship—i.e. reimbursements and conference fee waivers for organizations that sponsor; display space be provided for sponsors, etc.  Every level receives acknowledgement on the program, on social media, in our newsletter & website. Patty has asked that we each contact some organizations/ departments. Names and departments, including student unions and student groups, were added to the list.

Decision: People please let Patty know who you can contact for sponsorships asks. Also let Jen or Patty know if there are other contacts that should be on the list. Jen will also delegate more names from the list. Francophone contacts missing.

Jen noted that we got a $150.00 donation from the Journal of Literacy and Cultural Disability Studies for advertising space in the program and mention at the conference. They are in turn willing to advertise the conference and call in their own materials. This assists both the journal and our association. Patty, Chelsea and Jen will develop a separate package to send to journals regarding us offering promotional space; our conference will receive advertisement in a journal in turn.

7.Budget Report: Goal is to make a lot of revenue so that we can have the conference we want. Next meeting might involve cuts that are necessary. Account balance $12,767.46. Chelsea predicts that we need to try and make $11,000 to bridge the gap that exists between the money we have and the projected cost of the conference (around $23,000). Chelsea will be making proposals at next meeting about cutting costs, such as reducing student awards (they have not been giving away all the student awards in recent years); removing the monetary award for the Tanis Doe award, as that doesn’t seem a compelling reason for people to be nominated for Tanis Doe; cutting down costs for international keynote; and building a two-day instead of a three-day conference.

Discussion about student awards. We need to think about whether we should reduce the student awards or not. Question regarding how much outreach has been done for the student awards and whether or not enough students have been hearing about them. This might be part of the reason why there have not been a lot of submissions.  CFP for student awards is circulated in much the same way as the CFP in general is circulated, after the calls for all the proposals, so we’re targeting the people who have already submitted, who have already committed to becoming members and coming to the conference. It is possible we’re not reaching enough people, including students.

Another reason people don’t submit for the student award is because it asks for a full paper several months before the conference, and most students don’t have that ready. Having the full paper written could be a barrier. It means that someone would have to have been following the channels regarding applying for and receiving money. This could be excluding people who are not as connected to those channels or conversations, like people in colleges or in other university programs outside of DS. Doing wider outreach can make a difference here. Perhaps the fact that we are reaching out to more people with the full call will help; maybe we need to be more specific once we have our membership and presenter information, and directly reach out to students, as well as faculty to help get more students on board.

Another strategy is to ensure that instructors and faculty are being intentional about identifying and encouraging students to present. Faculty who are contacted about sponsorships could also be encouraged to encourage students to submit a paper. The student paper call goes out with the awards call, with a Feb. 1st deadline. There are overlaps between who we ask for sponsorships, and programs we ask to promote our call. However, for some groups we will still send separate emails, especially those groups that have felt discounted in the past. One idea is to send out the student paper call later, as the Feb. 1st deadline prevents some teachers from knowing which students to recommend to submit. It might actually work in our favour to have a later deadline. This would also give students more time to write the paper. This would move the adjudication process closer to the conference date.

Conference costs: Faith has put together conference costs breakdown from 2017. Faith and Randy will be handling costs related to Congress 2018. We will have to make decisions regarding length of conference and some other expenses, such as providing breakfast, etc. Faith reports that we will take in about $10,000-$12,000 in memberships as a conservative estimate, and then with sponsorships around $3,000 we should come out around $24,000 for income (adding in our current balance). We’re aiming for around $24-27,000.

In December, we will discuss budget more fulsomely.

Any other business: none.

Watch for emails regarding updated calls, contact with an elder. Please send recommendations for contacts for the call for proposals and sponsorships. Jen will be in touch once she has been in touch with potential keynotes. Meeting ended at 1 hour, 32 minutes.

November, our meeting is devoted to anti-oppression training. The meeting will be from 3 p.m.- 5 p.m. EST on November 8th.

 

Minutes submitted by Madeline Burghardt, secretary.