Canadian Disability Studies Association

Association canadienne d’études sur le handicap

Board Meeting Agenda

November 15, 2018

11am-1pm (ET)

Via Zoom

 

  1. Approval of Agenda

 

  1. Updates (Heather)
    1. CFP: Heather thanked everyone for their contribution to the CFP proposal and getting it up on our website, along with Caroline’s “guide to congress” document which will be a great addition going forward.

 

    1. Francophone Rep: Heather advised the board that Charles Gaucher has stepped down from the board as Francophone rep as he has had success with some grant proposals he had submitted and now has to focus on those. Maria Fernanda Arentsen, our remaining Francophone representative has put the word out in her community for a replacement for Charles. Heather thanked Charles for his participation with CDSA in the past.

 

    1. Other: Heather received a request from a member of the Canadian Sociological Association who has received approval for a proposal for a session with the “Sociology of Disability Research Cluster” entitled “Confluences of Madness: Intersectional Explorations”. The description reads as follows:

‘This session invites papers that engage with Madness/Mad identity, ‘mental illness’, and/or psychiatrization through a critical, intersectional, sociologically informed lens. The ways that Mad experiences and identities are shaped by multiple marginalizations, in historical and contemporary contexts, is an under-researched and under-theorized area, and this session seeks papers that contribute toward expanding this body of work. Scholarship that draws upon frameworks from Mad studies and/or disability studies is welcome, but work that also incorporates insights and perspectives from feminist scholarship, queer theory, critical race studies, and/or other critical perspectives is especially encouraged’.

 

The member is asking whether we would be interested in a “cross-listing”. As Heather was not sure what this entailed, she has responded requesting more information, and asking if they are interested in an “interdisciplinary panel”. She also asked board members what their thoughts were. Caroline voiced concern that by “cross-listing” it could draw attention away from our sessions. Laura mentioned that there may be funding available from Congress for “interdisciplinary panels.” Heather and Laura will investigate possibilities and report back.

 

  1. Non-Profit/Charitable Status:

 

Jeff has looked into Pillar non-profit; Heather has looked into the Ontario non-profit. There are some benefits to becoming a member of the Ontario non-profit. Annual fee depends on annual budget (100.00 for under $30 000 per year budget). Heather will find out more about Pillar from Jeff. Full discussion deferred to next meeting. Heather has posted a link to the Ontario non-profit group that members can look at before the next meeting. Perhaps we can try to get someone to come to the next meeting to discuss. Heather will follow up.

 

  1. LAC Report (Laura)

 

Space: Laura reported that the deadline to submit space requirements is coming up. She described the space she had in mind: a large space with three break-out rooms. She will need a rough outline of a schedule by November 22nd so that we know what rooms we will need when. Heather and Laura to discuss.

 

In past, universities have had an obligation to cost-share accessibility issues. Laura has been in contact with Janet Mee who is the Accessibility contact for UBC. They are taking a different approach this year and are providing access accommodations directly, e.g. arranging for ASL interpreters and captioning where required for specific attendees. Attendees need to indicate accommodation needs when they register.

 

This is very good news on the one hand, as it understood that UBC/Congress will cover these costs. On the other hand, as it will only be done upon individual request, we need to ensure our members register early and indicate their access needs. Also, we want to make sure we have both live captioning and ASL at all plenary sessions regardless of needs requested in advance. Laura will explore this with them. Caroline suggested that microphones could be considered accessibility devices. Heather suggested that as we would need microphones whether they were for accessibility or not, perhaps we could suggest this for when the more expensive lapel mics are required for accessibility.

 

Although UBC will meet individual access requests, they will not meet personal or attendant needs; however, individual associations can assist to help with those costs.

Food: need to have adequate snacks.

Housing / Accommodations: on-campus best option; ppl should book as soon as possible, as there are other conferences going on at the same time. Accommodations available now.

Discussion: can we put a hold on some of the accessible accommodations, and then we can put this out to the membership? Suites vs. single rooms, for example. This will encourage ppl to book soon.

Laura will see if she can look at some of the accommodations that may be available, especially over the holidays.

 

  1. Financial Report (Chelsea)

Financial report has been sent out by email and is posted.

Members must continue to ask various institutions for sponsorship for CDSA. Also record which places have said yes / no. If an institution says yes, we are encouraged to respond, and to cc Chelsea on that message.

 

  1. Student Travel Bursaries (Chelsea/Caroline)

 

Currently $1 000 consisting of 5 x 200-dollar bursaries. Discussion: 200.00 is not that much money to assist with travel. How to ensure that the bursaries are used: give out cheques at conference. $1 000 was the amount set a few years ago when Students for a Barrier-Free access at U of T offered 1 000, and we kept the amount the same even when SBF no longer offered that amount. Fund-raising letters can ask donors to target their donation to help fund students.  We also get free passes based on our membership; we will get 4 this year. This usually goes to keynotes and the on-the-ground team.

 

Discussion: whether to have fewer bursaries, or to go with more bursaries worth less. Discussion is leaning towards more bursaries with less money.

 

Idea: to have ppl offer to pay for someone else when they register. We can ask people if they want to make individual donations to help other people to get to conference. CDSA has a rigid fee schedule, making these kinds of donations difficult.

 

However, could we have a separate, internal fee donation to facilitate people’s attendance? For example, a go-fund-me page. We could also do a specific fund-raising campaign to specifically raise money to support people to get to Congress. Perhaps part of the student participation this year could be a design activity. Or, try to have the design already decided upon (i.e. for T-shirts and buttons), and use it to raise money for this year. We would need to decide if it is do-able for this year. Caroline will do some research into costs of production (eg find out from Sociological Association) and will send this out before we make a final decision. Idea is to add any funds raised to the student bursary fund.

 

Another point is to ensure that students find out about travel bursaries with enough lead-time. This is included in Caroline’s student guide brochures. Kaley will ensure that these points are posted in an ongoing way on the web page.

Decision: keep student bursaries the same for now; add money from fund-raising into this pool.

 

  1. Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
    1. Membership Feedback form draft (Caroline)

Currently: we will use the feedback form at the next AGM. There needs to be some kind of feedback form to use at the AGM for those who cannot attend. We could send things out with the AGM material, and could also send it out afterwards. Discussion re: a survey, or a single, well-crafted question that invites responses, using a text-box. This discussion to be continued.

 

    1. Equity Officer:

This position remains vacant on the CDSA board. Heather had a conversation with a colleague from Human Rights office; she is trying to encourage him to take on the role. The job description is a bit overwhelming right now but is changeable.

 

  1. Open Discussion (all)

Paper competition and student event: Caroline asked if she could post publicly on Facebook for feedback from other students regarding these two items. Kaley is willing to send things out to the broader membership for feedback with particular questions; we can run things by Kaley first to ensure postings are appropriate.

 

Adjudication: Heather will call out requests for adjudicators later for paper submissions. Discussion: re: getting the word out to different institutions: ask admin assistants and heads of departments; use the list Chelsea came up with for sponsorships to contact different programs.

 

Sponsorships: Continue to follow up with requests, even if at first we do not hear back from people.

 

  1. Next Meeting – December 13, 2018, 11 a.m.

Heather will send out an email for the next meeting; she will also send out a Doodle poll for January to May. She will try to get the agenda out a week in advance next time—this will serve as a reminder.

 

  1. Meeting adjourned at 12:40 p.m.

 

Minutes submitted by Madeline Burghardt, CDSA secretary.